Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kids say the darndest things...

"I'm sorry Mommy. I bonked you in my face."

The other day I was laying on my stomach on my bed looking over my lesson for Sunday and Drew came running by as I was lowering my feet over the edge. Poor kiddo... direct hit. He's a tough one though. Through mild tears he said the above. I was dying! I had to write it down as fast as possible so I could get it right for future story telling.

This morning he was playing trucks and out of no where he tells me "Costco has a gas station." Honest. He hasn't been to Costco that much, but it always leaves a lasting impression. Just like Costco Hot Dogs-- a story for another time.

He says something funny almost everyday. I just hope I remember enough to record for later laughs. Just like how he says "I'm sorry" when he gets hurt, not the other way around.

He can be such a sweetie but after the playing at the playground this morning I could have shot him. I asked him if he had to go potty and he said no. Not 1 minute later he was running from his room making a puddle as he went. grrrr. Is this defiance or still learning??
Some days he's really good. The last 2 days were not. Our last several incentives have lost their appeal and I need more ideas. Sticker charts, timers, and treats are no longer working. The last couple days I have been dragging him kicking and screaming about every 2 hours to "try". Oh well. Life as a mom must go on.
Here's some more fun pictures for today. I'm so glad I don't have to buy film and get them developed... I'd be broke.

Its serious business when it comes to helicopters! That hook get s a lot of use.


Is this a familiar post-bath scene to any other parents? I thought he would have started this ages ago, but it's only become a recent game.


Caught ya... you hooligan.... Oh boy. Looks like its time for another haircut. Joy of joys.


Oh, and I forgot I took this picture. I have to brag about my hubby for a minute.
The other night Jared made a Costco run for a few things and brought back strawberries, too. YUM!! He wanted to be creative with them before they went bad. Look what he did?!
After the kids went to bed, he made crepes with a fresh strawberry cream cheese filling. OH MY GOODNESS! And to think I was going to bed. I came back out to check on him and I'm glad I did. We're keeping this recipe around.

Basic Crepes recipe: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 Tbl sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups milk, 2 Tbl melted butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs.
Strawberry Cream Crepes from Cooks.com: 12 cooked dessert crepes; 2 cups (1 pt) fresh strawberries washed and sliced; 1/4 cup sugar; 8 oz. softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
Prepare crepes. Reserve 1 cup strawberries. In small bowl, combine remaining strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar, chill. In medium bowl, blend cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in reserved strawberries. Spread about 1 tablespoon strawberry-cheese mixture over each crepe. Roll up. Serve topped with sweetened chilled strawberries. 12 crepes.

It's rich! so beware, a little goes a long ways.

As I'm typing this, Nathan is sleeping in the swing and Drew is doing the wood turtle-alphabet puzzle from Auntie Cheryl. After putting in each letter, in reverse order, he tells me Z is for Zebra, Y is for Yo-Yo, and so on. He likes K for Kelli and Keys and M for Mommy. R starts with Rabbit. E starts with Elephant. You get the idea. I love this. He'll get is straight eventually. I was wondering when he would start catching onto beginning sounds.
Now when I ask him what does ___ start with. He gets it most of the time! Well, except for mixing up C and K. Why would anyone torture a kid like that?!

2 comments:

John and Tawnya Hoover said...

Thats so cute... Thanks for the comments on my blog. Its been tough but i think we can endure it. when we made the decision to be married, we felt very good about it. thanks for the centerpiece ideas too. I did fish on my last wedding so it would be wierd to do it again. John is definately against doing anything too similar tothe last marriage which is fine cuz look where it got me. hope you guys are doing well
tawnya

Manu said...

Kristin,I can't believe how much Drew looks like your dad when he was little! Hang in there with the potty training...it will end:-)I thought I was spoiled by all the cooking Wayne does, but it took me many years to get him trained...good for you that Jared is already trained! Love to all...Barb